Invite a friend
Fourth Massachusetts Poetry Festival
The Massachusetts Poetry Festival
The fourth Massachusetts Poetry Festival will be held Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, April 20–22, in historic Salem. The three-day event, which will bring 1,500 poets and poetry lovers to the city, will showcase a variety of extraordinary local and regional poets, and engage the public through poetry readings, interactive workshops, panel discussions, music, film and visual arts, and performances geared toward a diverse statewide audience.
“The Massachusetts Poetry Festival will bring a blizzard of verbal beauty to Salem, a city with a rich literary history and vibrant writing community. It will connect generations, and it will give the city and the university a leadership role in building culture in the Commonwealth,” said J.D. Scrimgeour, poet and professor of English at Salem State University. “The Poetry Festival is evidence of the vitality of the fundamental, central art of poetry,” said Robert Pinsky, former poet laureate of the United States and the honorary chair of the poetry festival.
This year’s festival follows a variety of small events across the state organized by schools, libraries, and bookstores in April as part of National Poetry Month.
For National Poetry Month, MassPoetry will:
- Produce Common Threads, a set of poems by Massachusetts poets to be read throughout March and April by schools, colleges, public libraries, book clubs, community poetry reading series, etc.
- Produce a kit that includes the poems in text form, in audio form, a guide to reading and discussing each poem and several essays about each poem
Massachusetts Poetry Festival activities include:
- Readings by emerging and nationally recognized poets
- An exciting lineup of programming created by the Peabody Essex Museum
- An expansive Small Press Fair
- A Literary Magazine Fair
- Poetry slams
- Poetry-inspired music performances and visual arts
- A poetry train from Boston to Salem to provide both transportation and another venue for poetry
|Where||161 Essex St, Salem, MA 01970 ((Events for festival take place at multiple locations in Salem; Check schedule on website))|
|Next on||This event is over.|
|Time||10:00 am–10:00 pm|
|Who to bring||College Students, Moms, Dads, Singles, Everyone, Kids, Teens, Families, Seniors|