The short week at work begins and all week your energy is high as you start to get ready for your long weekend away.
Where would you go to for a three day weekend with your spouse, significant other or your kids? Two spots that come to mind are Boston, Massachusetts and Portland, Maine.
Since many of us live in Massachusetts, when was the last time you actually explored Boston? For me it has been a long time. Here are some great hotels to stay in:
- Boston Harbor Hotel which is close to family oriented Long Wharf
- Boston Marriott Copley Place located in the Back Bay close to upscale shopping and dining
- Boston Marriott Long Wharf within walking distance of Fanueil Hall and the New England Aquarium.
This great walkable city has many fun things to do in any season. Here are great choices to do on a long weekend: Walk the Freedom Trail, Visit the Museum of Fine Arts or the Museum of Science with kids, stroll through the shops and eateries of Fanueil Hall, visit the New England Aquarium or take a walk along the Charles River.
Another great long weekend escape is Portland, Maine, less than 2 hours away. Since I lived in Freeport, Maine for almost ten years I grew to love this city. This city has a great atmosphere for just strolling down the cobblestone sidewalks. A few great hotels to stay at while in Portland:
- Portland Harbor Hotel which is located in the heart of the Old Port
- Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Waterfront is directly across from Portland Harbor
- Holiday Inn Portland By the Bay, which is close to the Old Port and the Arts District.
The Old Port area as it is referred to by locals has many shops, bars and restaurants to explore along the waterfront. There is a great restaurant right on the water called DiMillo’s Floating Restaurant. They have some of the best seafood. Another great restaurant on a side cobblestone alleyway is Street and Co—known to us true locals as a secret treasure. Portland has a great art district and the well-known Portland Museum of Art resides here. If you still need more shopping while in Portland, just take a 20 minute trip north to Freeport, the home of LL Bean and its massive 140,000 square foot flagship store.
When you get back, your next work week (and month) is also more productive. We all need an energy boost--where will your three day weekend take you?