Wednesday, May 8, 2013
A look at what's coming up at the MMAS Black Box.
This month, the Mansfield Music and Arts Society is presenting A Chorus Line. The show, originally opened on Broadway in 1975, focuses on a group of actors auditioning for a part in the chorus line of a new musical. Through the auditions, the director of the fictitious play brings out the backstories of the singers/dancers. The play was the longest-running production on Broadway before it was usurped by Cats in 1997. It had 6,137 performances. The play is running until the end of May, where it will be replaced by The Pirates of Penzance. The pirates concerns Fredric, who has just been released from a group of good-natured pirates and meets the daughter of the Major-General Stanley. As you might expect, they fall in love, but since Fredric …
Friday, December 28, 2012
Citizens’ Scholarship Foundation of Mansfield announces its winners for 2012.
- VOLUNTEERS IN THE NEWS
Friday, December 28, 2012
Citizens’ Scholarship Foundation of Mansfield has concluded another successful holiday window painting contest and fundraiser. More than 26 Mansfield businesses donated more than $3,400 to CSF to have their windows painted. Their donations are designated for the June 2013 scholarships awards. Anonymous judges from the Mansfield Music and Arts Society determined the winners. The judges looked for composition, use of space, colors, and artistic ability. The winners are: In the Holiday Window Category: First Place - Mansfield Bank (Sesame Street Gang) by Marty Reynolds and Rachel Unger; 2nd Place - Meineke Car Car (Eskimo) by Rachel Tarantino, Haley Wagner, Stephanie Walker and Leina Xu; 3rd Place - at Stop & Shop (Large Kwanzaa) by Danielle …
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
The decades-old tradition returns for 2012 in Mansfield.
The MMAS Southern Massachusetts Arts Festival is a two day event held on the South Common in Mansfield. The event is free and open to the public. Come down and enjoy art submitted by local artists, and artists from around New England, live Music and vote the Best Soup & Chowder in town. Artists wishing to enter works can bring them to the South Common on Saturday morning between at 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. Entry forms and guidelines are available on the MMAS website www.mmas.org Click here to see last year's festival The SMAF if a tradition in Mansfield dating back decades. The festival was originally strated by the PM Women's Club in Mansfield, but took a brief hiatus during the 1980s due to the club's dissolution. MMAS started it up again later…
Three concerts during the weekend, makes Mansfield Police very busy.
1. Sunny, with a high near 69. Northwest wind 6 to 8 mph. Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 48. Light southwest wind. 2. Mansfield conservation land dispute boils over. Read more hear. 3.The Mansfield MMAS is presenting the Southern Mass. Arts Festival this weekend, click here to read more about the event. 4. The Comcast Center saw three concert this weekend; ZZ Top/Lynyrd Skynyrd, Zac Brown and Jason Mraz. Click here to see what happened. 5. Worcester saw the first West Nile virus death in Massachusetts since 2005, and the threat level has raised statewide, including Mansfield.
Friday, August 10, 2012
Happy tax-free shopping Saturday and Sunday!
Evolving out of the San Francisco rock scene of the mid-1960s, Big Brother and Holding Company was in the forefront of the psychedelic music movement. The band was formed by Peter Albin, Sam Andrew, James Gurley and Chuck Jones in San Francisco, in a Victorian mansion boarding house owned by Peter’s uncle at 1090 Page Street in the Haight Ashbury section. Starts at 6 p.m. Casey O'Conors in Mansfield is presenting Ken Freemann followed by 'The Mumblers.' This weekend is the Massachusetts Tax-Free Holiday, starting on Aug. 11 and ending midnight on Aug. 12. Casey O'Conors in Mansfield is presenting "The Cabana Boys" followed by Roctopus. The Foxboro High School Cheerleaders will hold a car wash on Saturday, Aug. 11 (rain date Aug. 12) at the…
Thursday, August 9, 2012
Police logs today.
1. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon. Thursday NightIsolated showers and thunderstorms before 9pm, then isolated showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Patchy fog after 2am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. 2. Come by and check out Karaoke with DJ Jim every Thursday nigth at Casey O'Conor's. Enjoy the largest selection of Karaoke and Music Videos on the South Shore. 3. Check out the latest Mansfield Police Log by clicking here. Concerts, road rage and bats hit the town this week. 4. Mansfield selectmen discussed security and substance issues at the last Board of Selectmen's meeting. 5…
Friday, June 15, 2012
Last chance to catch the Gin Game at the MMAS.
1. Sunny, with a high near 72. Northeast wind between 7 and 11 mph. Mostly clear, with a low around 51. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm. 2. MMAS and the New England Repertory Company presents The Gin Game by D. L. Colburn. Directed by Tom Hunter and featuring Beth Goldman of Norwood and Mike Kiernan of Sharon. The Gin Game is a Pulitzer Prize play and also received many Tony Award nominations. This is a drama and not recommended for children under the age of 16. MMAS will host a "talk back" with the actors and director after every performance for those who wish to stay. 3. Koko Fitclub in Easton is hosting Learn How to Koko! @ Koko FitClub at 11 a.m. today. Come and learn how to Koko like everyone else. Busy mom's and dad's, brides…
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
1. A chance of showers. Areas of fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 69. East wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. A chance of showers, mainly before 1am. Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 56. South wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. 2.There will be a Mansfield Rotary Senior Appreciation Luncheon today at the Mansfield Council on Aging at 12 p.m. This annual program begins with a brief business meeting prior to the buffet luncheon. Members of the Rotary will be seated with seniors at each table to be available to discuss Rotary International and projects sponsored by the organization. Guest…
Thursday, April 5, 2012
A list of things to do this weekend in and around Mansfield before the Easter and Passover Festivities.
Friday Rum Runner Wine & Spirits - Easter Wine Tasting Come by Rum Runners Wine & Spirits and sample our selection of wines! Starts at 4 p.m. Art Adventures will be at the Children's Museum in Easton Friday at 10 a.m. For more information, click here. Mike Lebon is playing at Casey O'Conors on Friday. Born in Providence, RI., Lebon started playing the piano at age five and then the cello at age eight. By age ten, he started playing the guitar which became his primary instrument. Formed his first small rock band, Paradox at age 16. Saturday Noron Meat Raffle - Nine raffles of meat and one 50/50 raffle. Food for purchase so bring your appetite.Starts at 7:30 p.m. The 39 Steps is an Alfred Hitchcock Thriller adapted by Joe Landrey into the …
Story time today.
1. Sunny, with a high near 57. Northwest wind between 10 and 13 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Mostly clear in the evening, with a low around 29. North wind around 7 mph. 2. There are two story times for ages 2-3 and 4-5 today at the Mansfield Public Library. The morning group meets at 11 a.m. and the afternoon group meets at 1 p.m. 3. The 39 Steps is an Alfred Hitchcock Thriller adapted by Joe Landrey into the Tony Awrd winning farce. In the play four actors play nearly 100 + characters. Presented by MMAS and The New England Repertory Company. We do have three Sunday matinee performances at 2 PM. Tickets sell out fast and reservations are strongly suggested. 4. Come by and check out Karaoke with DJ Jim every Thursday nigth at …